Did you know that October is National Bullying Prevention Month? I didn’t know until I was offered the chance to review the new book Little Girls Can Be Mean: Four Steps to Bully-Proof Girls in the Early Grades. This book aims to help little girls before they reach adolescence, right when they start getting mean. The book uses 4 steps for helping young girls to avoid becoming truly “mean girls”. These steps are:
· Step 1: OBSERVE the social situation and your daughter with new eyes
· Step 2: CONNECT with your child in a whole new way
· Step 3: GUIDE your child with simple, compassionate strategies
· Step 4: SUPPORT HER TO ACT more independently and face the social issue
Using these steps, the authors try to help little girls who are being builled and the young girls who are being mean. They hope that by helping girls when they are younger, things won’t escalate when they are older, rather they will stop.
What I like most about this book is that it has something for everyone who might be around young girls dealing with bullying. The main portions of the book tend to be written for parents of young girls experiencing bullying in some form. Then, every couples of pages has a box with Tips for Girls that can help them become better people that you can share with your little girl. Also, throughout the book it has other boxes with Teacher’s Tips. One of the teacher’s tips I liked was having a caring community in the classroom that all students are a part of.
Overall, it’s a very informative and concise book on girl bullying in the younger grades. It’s perfect for parents, teachers, and young girls to share.
WIN! THIS GIVEAWAY HAS CLOSED!
One reader will win their own copy of Little Girls Can Be Mean.
To enter: Tell me why you would like to win this book.
This entry is mandatory, if you do not do #1, you cannot do the “extra” entries. Comments like “enter me” will not be eligible!
For each extra entry please post an additional comment!
1. Follow me on Twitter (let me know your handle in a comment).
2. Tell others about this giveaway (Tweet, Digg, Stumble, email, forum, meme, blog it, Google Buzz, etc). You get one extra entry for each thing done.
3. Follow my blog and tell me (or tell me if you already are).
4. Subscribe to my blog’s feed and tell me (or tell me if you already do).
5. Add my blog button to your blog (leave blog link).
6. Comment on a non-giveaway post. (Come back and tell me which one.)
Giveaway ends on November 12th at 11:59 pm EST.
The winner will be chosen via random number generator the next day and notified by email. If I don’t hear back from the winner within 48 hours of sending the winning email, I’ll pick another.
*Open to US residents only.
Disclosure: I received a free copy of Little Girls Can Be Mean for review purposes. No compensation was received. The opinions expressed are my own.