We were hit with a big snow storm on Thursday night while I was staying at my boyfriend’s house. It knocked out the power until Saturday night. Within hours of the power being back on, we made this lovely spiced apple cake using Musselman’s apple butter. Note: we used whole wheat flour which made it darker and a little heartier. Nonetheless, it was delicious. You can view the spiced apple cake with orange glaze recipe on the Musselman’s as well as follow the recipe below.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. nutmeg
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. ground cloves
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup butter
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 cup MUSSELMAN'S Apple Butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp. orange juice
- 1 tsp. orange peel
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sift flour, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon and cloves.
- Cream sugar and softened butter or margarine in large bowl.
- Add eggs, beating thoroughly.
- Beat in dry ingredients alternately with buttermilk.
- Stir in apple butter.
- Grease a 9x5x3-inch loaf pan and pour batter into.
- Bake in 350°F oven 55 to 65 minutes or until cake tests done.
- Cool 10 minutes before removing from pan.
- Make orange glaze by combining powdered sugar, orange juice, and orange rind.
- Spoon glaze over warm Apple Butter Cake.
I don’t typically like orange stuff. However, I really liked this cake. The orange glaze goes well with the cake. The different flavors compliment each other well. Plus, the glaze gave the cake a different consistency on top. My boyfriend loved this cake since he is a huge fan of oranges. It was a perfect way to celebrate the return of the electricity.
Disclosure: I received the apple butter used in this recipe for free. No compensation was received. The opinions expressed are my own.